Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
About the Role
With over $140B invested in healthcare, across over 50 Portfolio Managers, the industry team represents a flagship franchise for Wellington. The broad healthcare team includes over 20 colleagues across public and private markets. Wellington currently manages approximately $1B across our Healthcare Hedge Funds: Hawkes Bay, North River and Salthill. We are seeking an Analyst, Healthcare Hedge Funds (Analyst) to work directly with our Healthcare Team Leader on long/short strategies managed within the franchise. The primary focus will be Healthcare hedge funds with synergies expanding to other healthcare sector funds and sleeves.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Portfolio Analytics: Monitoring the healthcare hedge funds' overall positioning and exposure, as well as key positions and contributors to risk. Writing regular internal emails summarizing these features, key sector & macro developments, and recent trades.
• Investment Research: Uncovering new long and short ideas, researching existing holdings, primarily outside of biotech (eg. medtech, healthcare services, larger cap biopharma).
• Engagement with team: Working with Global Industry Analysts and Healthcare team leader on stock ideas and themes. Translating research insights into portfolio recommendations. Monitoring catalysts.
• Investment acumen and passion - The Analyst will have experience analyzing equity securities within healthcare or other industries, with strong interest in healthcare. The ability to identify mispricing and valuation discrepancies, make investment recommendations, and communicate his/her findings to the Team Leader/Global Industry Analyst is required. The ideal candidate will be passionate about markets with a demonstrated track record of successful stock recommendations. In addition, the Analyst must exhibit a fundamental, research oriented, bottom-up approach, supported by an investment philosophy and process, and be able to implement ideas through an analytical framework. Experience building and maintaining detailed technical financial models is required.
• Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The successful candidate will be energized by being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embracing the benefits of overlapping lines of company coverage and idea generation. The Analyst will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues and externally with company management teams. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; they must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction, and contribute to an open investment dialogue, is important.
• Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The Analyst will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the next generation of the investment industry.
Additional qualifications and characteristics include:
• A motivated equity research/hedge fund analyst looking to proactively develop career as a healthcare investor.
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in an analytical role within financial or professional services organizations;
• Long/short buy-side investing experience strongly preferred;
• Service orientation with a fiduciary and client-centric mindset;
• A pro-technology mindset and the ability to leverage technology to improve effectiveness and efficiency;
• Working knowledge of programming languages (SQL, Python, R, MATLAB, etc.) and data analysis/visualization tools (Tableau, Qlik, etc.) in a financial markets' context would be additive;
• Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
• Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature;
• Highest personal and professional integrity and ethics;
• History of professional achievement;
• Global perspective; and
• Strong academic credentials; MBA and/or CFA/CAIA is preferred.
The Analyst, Healthcare Hedge Funds will be based in Wellington's Global Headquarters in Boston, MA.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com .
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry.We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 80,000 - 180,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington's total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families, and we are committed to fostering a flexible work environment that enables employees to thrive personally and professionally. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)