Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
About the Role
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
Wellington has been investing in alternative investments since 1995. Today, we manage approximately $30B in alternative assets across long/short equities, absolute return fixed income, private equity and multi asset strategies. The mission of Wellington Alternative Investments is to deliver world-class alternative investment strategies and client service to our fund investors. We aim to achieve that mission by focusing on three primary goals:
1. Delivering a Coordinated Alternatives Strategy and Message: in partnership with colleagues around the firm
2. Positioning for Growth: raising the profile and fostering growth for our alternatives business
3. Providing Effective Fund Sponsorship: ensuring end-to-end ownership and strong oversight of our funds
We are seeking an experienced Investment Director to support the business management and client service needs of the Wellington Alternative Investments sponsored funds. This Investment Director will represent the firm internally and externally with clients, prospects, and investment consultants and conduct a range of fund, business and investment-related activities including investor relations, portfolio analysis, marketing strategy and positioning, competitive analysis, client communications and project management. He/she is expected to work closely with our investment teams, our global relationship group and colleagues around the firm to help support the platform's product development efforts. Our clients are located around the world and our alternative products span across equities, fixed income, multi-asset platforms, as well as private equity.
We seek individuals with the investment experience and analytical skills required to organize and interpret investment information, combined with the business acumen and interpersonal skills needed to drive business success. The Investment Director role requires a strong foundation and demonstrated interest in investing, and we anticipate that this person will spend a large portion of their time meeting with clients, prospects and consultants to communicate investment strategy.
Responsibilities and activities will include:
• Acting as a credible investment representative of the hedge fund or alternative portfolio managers and portfolios with sophisticated clients, prospects, and investment consultants
• Working directly with portfolio managers to support, enhance and articulate the investment process
• Completing quantitative and qualitative evaluation of the investment strategy and portfolio performance both for competitive positioning and client consulting
• Providing regular investment risk oversight for a set of funds
• Supporting the growth and retention of client assets
• Assisting in the development of marketing strategy and business planning, leading research and analysis on new business opportunities
• Creating innovative and insightful content for current and prospective investors (e.g., thought pieces, marketing collateral, investor letters)
• Strategizing with and supporting Business Developers in sales and relationship management activities, including fundraising and responding to ongoing investor requests
• Synthesizing client and marketplace feedback to help inform the firm's alternatives product development effort
• Assuming responsibility for internal issues associated with the management of the WAI fund business (e.g., operational complexity, investment capacity, investment guidelines)
• Participate in meetings with clients, prospects and consultants to communicate our investment philosophy, strategy, and performance. Significant travel should be expected
The successful candidate for this position will have strong academic credentials, client relationship skills, demonstrated analytical and writing skills, effective communication skills, a high level of attention to detail, a positive collegial attitude, and is likely to have at least 10-15+ years of experience in a related position. An understanding of asset management and the alternative investment business will also be important. Prior experience in a related position, advanced academic work and/or CFA are preferred.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com .
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry.We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 100,000 - 225,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington's total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families, and we are committed to fostering a flexible work environment that enables employees to thrive personally and professionally. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)