Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
About the Role
As part of the continued growth of our Investment Strategy group and Liability-Driven Investment capabilities, we are seeking to recruit a LDI Strategist/Portfolio Manager with a focus on the pensions client segment. This role will serve as a partner to our LDI Strategist/Portfolio Manager team leader in delivering on existing client objectives and expanding our client partnerships. This role will involve three key elements: a research orientation, an ability to work with clients as a trusted advisor, and portfolio management of pension solutions. The position is likely to be involved in the following areas:
• Developing differentiated and innovative research on pension investment topics;
• Conducting, writing, and discussing research externally and with internal constituents, with a focus on investment implications;
• Linking research ideas to implementable investment solutions;
• Identifying the "right" topics to research - those that will be relevant and meaningful to clients.
ENGAGING WITH CLIENTS AND PROSPECTS AS A THOUGHT PARTNER
• Engaging and building trust with strategic clients
• Developing peer-like relationships with clients by listening and gaining a deep understanding of their investment needs;
• Engaging with clients on policy decisions and topical issues, including asset/liability management , capital market developments, regulatory developments affecting pensions, and trends across pension plans.
• Connecting an understanding of client needs to Wellington capabilities and implementable investment solutions
• Driving the design of pension investment solutions, including multi-asset solutions, to meet client needs
• Ensuring a robust investment process persists in order to meet or exceed client objectives
• Serving as a fiduciary in the ongoing oversight and portfolio management of client portfolios
To be effective in the role, the successful candidate is likely to demonstrate some or all of the following skills/attributes:
• Demonstrable (10+ years) relevant professional experience in the Liability Driven Investment (LDI) field, with pension experience preferable;
• Strong knowledge of fixed income and liability investing strategies. Multi-asset acumen is desirable, or an openness to learning cross asset implications on LDI strategies;
• Experience and passion for conducting practical research on LDI investment topics and strategy
• Actuarial designation or progress towards it (FSA, ASA or EA) highly desired, preferably on pension track;
• Portfolio Management experience or past proximity to investment process desirable (e.g. risk allocation and risk management);
• Ability to build trust with clients that can lead to deeper relationships with Wellington;
• Collaborator - enthusiastic to partner with global colleagues, including client relationship teams and other investment professionals;
• Strong communication skills including 1 on 1 engagement and publication of written research pieces;
• Creative/flexible thinking to solve client problems;
• Attention to detail and process orientation necessary to oversee a set of unique client portfolios;
• Resilience and curiosity with a high degree of self-motivation and a growth mindset;
• History of academic achievement.
This position will be based in Wellington's Global Headquarters in Boston, MA.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com .
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry.We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 100,000 - 225,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington's total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families, and we are committed to fostering a flexible work environment that enables employees to thrive personally and professionally. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)