Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
About the Role
Our global investment platform is comprised of over 500 investment professionals across six investment functions (Investment Research, Investment Boutiques, Hedge Funds, Private Investments, Risk & Investment Science & Investment Strategy) in the Americas, EMEA and APAC regions. The team collectively manages approximately $1 trillion in assets across the capital structure.
Wellington Management's Investment Research group delivers deep, differentiated research targeted towards areas of dispersion and alpha generation, across equity, fixed income, ESG and Macro Research. The group is organized into 12 teams, comprising of over 90 investment professionals including Global Industry Analysts, Fixed Income Credit Analysts and Research Associates globally.
The Investment Research Leadership Team (IRLT) is responsible for ensuring Wellington has a world-class global research platform that conducts deep, differentiated research, drives excellent investment results and has the capabilities to meet the evolving needs of portfolio managers and clients. Our Fixed Income Credit Analysts also manage a small yet growing amount of concentrated research managed portfolios. We are seeking to add an Associate Director/Director to our leadership team to work with a subset of fixed income research teams and contribute to global initiatives that will benefit our analysts' abilities to deliver excellent investment outcomes for clients. This position will work closely with Adam Kaplan, the Director, Industry Research, responsible for managing the global strategy for Fixed Income Research and the global fixed income research teams and be a member of the Investment Research Leadership Team (IRLT). The IRLT is a highly collaborative, global leadership team working to unify the research platform globally and across asset class, perpetuate the investment focused culture, attract, retain and develop talent and ensure the platform is long-term oriented, flexible and adaptable to changing client needs and market conditions.
In partnership with the Director, Industry Research for Fixed Income, this role is responsible for managing a subset of our fixed income research analysts, providing strategic and talent management support to the Directors of Research in many areas related to markets/securities/ performance and investment philosophy and process. He/she will also drive strategic priorities for the department forward in line with the vision of the global leadership team through strong project management and an iterative collaboration process.
INVESTMENT CAPABILITIES & TALENT Ensuring that we attract and retain the investment talent necessary to generate excellent research and investment performance.
- Talent: Manage a subset of Fixed Income Analysts within teams where different perspectives, backgrounds and skills are embraced to improve idea generation and client outcomes. Provide ongoing guidance, coaching and feedback (e.g., helping them have impact by focusing on long-term, deep, differentiated research; counseling on team dynamics; finding solutions to 'pain points;' enabling effective communication and the interface between investors locally, regionally and globally; and utilizing firm resources, including technology).
- Broad Analyst Due Diligence: Conduct rigorous due diligence on our Analysts by studying and analyzing their investment philosophies and processes and their approaches to research. Rating Analysts to identify key areas of strength, core competencies and development areas to refine investment decision making.
- Leveraging the Analysts' time to ensure they are focused on their research agendas, generating excellent investment results and communicating their best ideas to the rest of the firm effectively and efficiently.
INFRASTRUCTURE & SUPPORT Ensuring that Fixed Income Research has the necessary infrastructure and support to achieve its investment objectives and meet our fiduciary and regulatory responsibilities.
- Management dashboard and reporting: Study and assess existing management reporting capabilities and collaborate with our investment science and investment analytics teams to build and maintain a series of dashboards that highlight key performance information, investment recommendations, ownership at the firm and in the research portfolios. Help us identify and track Investment Research KPIs.
- Connecting and collaborating with key support areas (Trading, Product Management, Legal and Compliance, IT, Global Relationship Group) across regions to ensure effective end-to-end investment processes.
- Coordinate with other investment departments, such as Investment Boutiques, Risk & Investment Science and Product groups on trends and investment insights.
- Contributing to execution of Fixed Income Investment Research strategic initiatives.
- Representing the function in cross-functional initiatives and working groups such as technology development.
- Through deep understanding of Analyst workflow, identifying tools, technology and resources that could improve research process.
- Leadership and internal partnership on early career initiatives INCLUDING campus recruiting and Research Associate development.
The following essential skills and characteristics are required for the role:
• Management/Mentorship experience - The ideal candidate will have demonstrated track record and a passion for coaching and helping Analysts enhance investment skill. They will be the utmost fiduciary and laser focused on helping Analysts deliver differentiated research and excellent investment performance. It is critical that the ideal candidate be an empathetic leader with the strongest ability to build trust-based relationships with investors.
• Passion for investing - The Associate Director/Director must have a passion for investing and the markets with previous experience in fundamental fixed income investing.
• Flexible, results orientation - The ideal candidate will bring a flexible mindset, situational judgment and creative approach to problem solving with the discretion to manage competing priorities from multiple stakeholders.
• Collaboration and communication - The ideal candidate will thrive in a highly collaborative global group with strong analytical, organizational and communication skills.
• Problem-solving - He/she must be a problem solver with superb judgment, situational flexibility and the ability to drive material improvements while considering varied perspectives, influencing and seeing through important projects.
Additional qualifications and characteristics include:
• 5 to 15 years of relevant experience with a solid understanding of fixed income and credit research.
• Ability to interpret investment performance information into actionable insights.
• Ability to navigate stressful situations with poise; focused on being a calming presence, active listener and pragmatic problem solver.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to articulate and integrate numerous viewpoints and mobilize/influence across all levels of the organization, including senior leaders.
• The ability to manage, prioritize and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
• Conversant in data/technology with the ability to think through next generation tools to support investment processes.
• Strong academic credentials: MBA and/or CFA/CAIA (or equivalent).
The Associate Director/Director will be based in Wellington's Global Headquarters in Boston, MA.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? That's ok. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply and welcome a chance to review your background. We are dedicated to building and maintaining a diversified workforce and considering a broad array of candidates with a variety of skill, workplace experiences, and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMWTalentOperations@wellington.com .
At Wellington Management, our approach to compensation is designed to help us attract, inspire and retain the best talent in our industry.We strive to pay employees fairly and competitively across all levels and roles. Our approach to compensation considers all aspects of total compensation; all employees are eligible to receive salary, variable compensation, and benefits. The base salary range for this position is:
USD 100,000 - 225,000
This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered when making compensation decisions, including but not limited to skill sets; role; skills and experience; certifications; and education. This range is an estimate, and further details on salary and total compensation aspects will be shared with candidates during the recruitment process.
Base salary is only one component of Wellington's total compensation approach. Other rewards may include a discretionary Corporate Bonus and/ or Incentives, if eligible. In addition, we offer a comprehensive and high value benefit package to meet the unique needs of our employees and their families, and we are committed to fostering a flexible work environment that enables employees to thrive personally and professionally. Examples of our benefits include retirement plan, health and wellbeing, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage, health savings account, flexible spending accounts and commuter program, employee assistance program, life and disability insurance, adoption assistance, back-up childcare, tuition/CFA reimbursement and paid time off (leave of absence, paid holidays, volunteer, sick and vacation time)