Climate Scientist, Financial Applications Grade
( relevant for internal applicants only ): 11 The Location:
US - Virtual The Team:
The Climate Center of Excellence is part of S&P Global's Sustainable1 (S1), the centralized source for essential sustainability intelligence at S&P Global. This position is on the Science team within the Center of Excellence. The Science team provides state-of-the-art science to power S&P Global products and help the world's financial institutions, companies, and governments measure and manage the financial risk from climate change. The Science team is a group of experienced climate scientists who conduct cutting-edge applied research on the physical and economic impacts of climate change. The science team works on forward-looking projects that anticipate emerging needs in climate risk analysis. The Impact:
The mission of the Center of Excellence is to embed climate information into global decision making. We believe this will accelerate a sustainable and equitable transition to a low carbon economy and help make the world more resilient to the most important challenge of our time. Meeting this immense challenge requires coupling advanced physical science with advanced economic and financial modeling. What's in it for you:
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to join a dedicated group of leading scientists working in a rapidly growing field to address some of the world's most pressing challenges. Sustainable1 is growing rapidly, and there will be commensurate growth in professional development opportunities. The successful applicant will be exposed to new modeling and data methods that will be widely applicable in future projects. Responsibilities:
- Work with the science team to develop and test innovative ways to model the financial impacts of climate-related physical and transition risk on financial institutions and non-financial corporates.
- Develop methods to apply the outputs of physical and economic models to quantitative financial decision-making and risk management for S&P Global customers.
- Evaluate and extend the types of physical and economic data needed to support climate-relevant financial decisions
- Contribute to technical reports and academic publications.
- Keep pace with evolving technical literature in areas to our modeling.
- Work with the customer product teams to keep them abreast of both advances and limitations in our modeling techniques.
- Present research externally to our customers and at technical conferences
- Experience in quantitative modeling and analysis of how climate-related risks and opportunities affect financial decision-making and risk management. Solid understanding of the uses of climate risk data in financial decision making, and decision-relevant metrics.
- Master's or PhD relevant to financial impacts of climate change.
- High standards for data integrity and meticulous attention to detail and consistency.
- Well organized and able to manage projects independently with deadlines.
- Good communicator and able to work successfully in a team environment.
Compensation/Benefits Information (US Applicants Only):
- Experience with climate-related financial models and data relevant to this area.
- Experience in financial risk analysis
- Strong interest in inter-disciplinary approach to physical, social, and economic impacts of climate change.
- Experience with data analysis in R, Python, or another appropriate language/package.
- Experience in statistical and probabilistic analysis of large data sets.
- Familiarity with Unix-based and AWS computing environments.
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $83,200-$154,400 . Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan. This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits, we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires . About S&P Global Sustainable1:
S&P Global Sustainable1 is the central source for sustainability intelligence from S&P Global. Sustainable1 matches customers with the ESG products insights and solutions from across S&P Global divisions to help meet their unique needs. Our comprehensive coverage across global markets combined with in-depth ESG intelligence provides financial institutions, corporations and governments an unmatched level of clarity and confidence to successfully navigate the transition to a sustainable future. Our data and well-informed point of view on critical topics like energy transition, climate resilience, positive impact and sustainable finance allow us to go deep on the details that define the big picture so customers can make decisions with conviction. To learn more about Sustainable1, visit www.spglobal.com/sustainable1 .
Personal development, S&P sponsor our employees to spend time building their skills and knowledge on areas that are of personal interest and that can be beneficial to the business over the long term. We want our people to develop and stay for a long time. Examples include training in consultative selling techniques, external qualifications, and certifications in topics such as ESG as the market evolves, all the way through to MBA's.
The Workplace, we would like to encourage you to apply if you thrive in an environment that supports flexible working, we have adapted to a hybrid model and will continue this path in the future with the ability to work remotely and within the offices that we have throughout the United States.
Employee Resource Groups, developing a diverse workforce is one way we ensure our collective success. We support eight Employee Resource Groups dedicated to engaging and empowering diverse groups at S&P Global. You can find more information here: https://www.spglobal.com/en/who-we-are/diversity-equity-inclusion/people-resource-groups/
----------------------------------------------------------- Equal Opportunity Employer
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person. US Candidates Only:
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), ANLYTC202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group), SWP Priority - Ratings - (Strategic Workforce Planning) Job ID:
281663 Posted On:
New York, New York, United States