The Senior Investment Manager joins a team of experienced treasury professionals who work together to manage the Company’s $6+ billion in investment portfolio assets. Working in the investment management unit of the Treasury department, the Senior Investments Manager will support the portfolio oversight of the Corporate Investments, Employee Savings Plan (401k), Foundation, Captive, and Strategic investment portfolios.
The Senior Investment Manager reports directly to the Assistant Treasurer / Director of Investments and will help develop and lead analytically driven best in class risk management processes for investment portfolios while also supporting initiatives in portfolio rebalancing, strategy development, and alternative investments. Management of the Company’s investment income, specifically the Core Investments Portfolio, contributes to the Net Investment Income of the Organization. The Senior Investment Manager will participate in company-wide projects requiring investment expertise.
***This position is eligible in the following personas: Mobile and Resident***
Essential Duties / Key Accountabilities:
- Supervise 2 to 3 direct reports on the day-to-day responsibilities of the BCBSMA portfolios and manage responsibilities so that all work is completed in a timely and successful manner
- Oversee the month-end investment reconciliation function for investment activity related to the BCBSMA Core Investment, FERM Captive and Strategic portfolio investments utilizing financial reporting systems such as BNYM Nexen and Clearwater
- Support and improve the monthly investment performance reporting and due diligence process; monitor portfolio concentrations, exposures to various sectors, securities, and duration levels in accordance with Investment Policy guidelines
- Utilize Bloomberg and Advanced Excel functions to perform stress scenario analyses to assess portfolio exposure to various market factors in the support and enhancement of internal and regulatory requirements which include Owner Risk Solvency Assessment (ORSA) to mitigate risks
- Coordinate and support the quarterly Investment Committee meeting process, including compiling, and verifying current investment strategy, portfolio characteristics, historical performance commentary, investment portfolio educational items and identification of any compliance violations
- Support the Director of Investments with strategic and tactical portfolio asset allocation enhancements and participate in the approval of new asset classes and external asset managers
- Coordinate with the Director on administration of the investment portfolios for BCBSMA and Strategic subsidiaries by implementing new or maintaining risk and performance software systems
- Interface with internal partners and external vendors for the delivery of departmental programs and initiatives for the investments area including system implementations or upgrades; key customers include investment advisory firms, national auditing and actuarial firms, New England Pension Consultants, BCBSMA Association, BCBSMA Human Resources, Actuarial, and Audit & Controls Departments
- Responsible for maintaining and completing the unit’s internal Business Continuity Plan, audit requests, surveys, and investment policy guidelines
- Evaluating Investment Manager performance presents ongoing challenges because there are quantitative and qualitative factors involved, varying market cycles (up, down, flat), and other market factors (i.e. investment style) to consider; additional focus on Alternative investment strategies (Private Markets ) present many reporting challenges and require a sophisticated knowledge of investment reporting
- Working effectively with and possessing strong working knowledge of multiple systems and platforms including but not limited to Bloomberg, BNY Mellon Workbench, Clearwater in order to verify accurate investment reporting; maintain knowledge of regulations pertaining to FASB, SEC, and Mass Division of Insurance (DOI)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or related field is required. MBA preferred.
- Six (6) to eight (8) years relevant investment experience with strong understanding of the asset management industry, investment performance evaluation and capital markets; private markets experience desirable
- Supervision of staff, people management and team building skills is required
- CFA designation or progress towards CFA preferred
- Knowledge of macroeconomics, global investment markets, and financial analysis
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications (i.e. Advanced Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Bloomberg, BNY Mellon Workbench, Clearwater etc.
- Excellent analytical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proven analytical and project management experience