Provide institutional asset management business with legal advice and transaction support and develop strong business partner relationships. Apply a solid background and grounding in the law and experience in its application, in particular the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the rules and regulations thereunder. Make recommendations for decision-making and courses of action that comply with both company and industry practices, while outlining trade-off of business and legal risk and defining a range of solutions wherever possible. Ensure prudent and effective controls and risk mitigation strategies are implemented. Work under the supervision of Group Counsel.
This position can sit in Minneapolis, Boston, New York or Chicago. Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice to lines of business regarding products, services and operations, training/client disclosure material, contracts, and other legal matters relevant to the line of business supported. Analyze and assess risk in relatively straightforward cases or those which the General Counsel's Office has dealt with previously to offer precedent, but also comfortable addressing non-routine matters. Offer legal insight to aid in business decision-making consistent with goals and objectives. Work with/manage relationships with outside counsel, as required.
- Manage filing processes for the line of business supported and ensure timely and accurate filings that comply with industry regulations and standards. Mitigate risk to the business.
- Review proposals and agreements drafted by our Contract Office or presented by business. Edit and recommend alternatives based on a sold legal perspective and experience.
- Monitor laws and regulations to ensure compliance within the business line supported and enterprise overall, as appropriate. Escalate concerns and offer recommendations for solutions to issues that arise. Monitor the results of solution implementation. Benchmark evolving industry standards and practices.
- Work with non-U.S. affiliates, attorneys, and clients.
- Negotiate and draft agreements within purview of role and line of business based on legal experience and knowledge of subject matter. Utilize assistance from other legal staff, as needed.
- Negotiate various forms of intermediary agreements with broker/dealers, wrap program sponsors, insurance companies and other intermediaries
- Assist with maintenance of 529 plan offering documents
About Our Company
- 5+ years of relevant experience (including negotiations of contracts)
- Solid understanding of both general principles of law and regulations and those applicable to core practice area(s), in particular the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the rules and regulations thereunder.
- Solid drafting, research, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to communicate results to appropriate audiences and suggest risk assessed alternative courses of action.
- Ability to apply legal knowledge and analytical abilities to solve business problems and aid in decision-making in a commercial environment.
- Ability to master new bodies of legal knowledge as regulations and business objectives evolve.
- Comfort with interaction that are sometimes non-routine on complex matters.
At Ameriprise Financial, we're not just in the business of helping clients with their financial goals - we also help our advisors and employees reach their true potential by embracing an inclusive and collaborative culture. We celebrate the unique qualities and reward the contributions of our talented, passionate employees. If you're motivated and want to work for a strong, ethical company that cares about you and your community, take the next step with Ameriprise Financial.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.