Job Details Who we are looking for
The State Street Global Advisors Legal Department endeavors to provide strategic advice and counsel to its business and control colleagues in accordance with the highest standards of judgment, integrity and ethical leadership. We partner closely with these teams to find strategic solutions for our clients and contribute to the overall success of the firm. We are seeking an seasoned attorney with significant managerial experience leading teams of legal professionals who can excel in a fast-paced, client-focused environment. In the role of Managing Director, you will be responsible for providing legal support, advice and counsel to our US SPDR exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and mutual funds businesses. You will lead a team of five other 40 Act attorneys and paralegals that are responsible for supporting the US ETF and mutual fund product development and funds management business units within SSGA, including the organization, marketing, management and governance of our US registered mutual funds and US SPDR ETFs.
To be successful, you will develop a deep understanding of the firm's investment and operational capabilities, service offerings, culture and vision, regulatory and supervisory landscape in order to serve as a trusted advisor to your business and control partners, and efficiently identify, diagnose and help to address complex legal issues. You will need to build and maintain collaborative relationships with key internal teams, including management and senior executive business leaders, risk and compliance executives. What you will be responsible for
As Managing Director and Managing Counsel you will be responsible for providing practical and actionable legal advice and counsel with respect to our U.S. mutual funds and exchanges traded funds that are registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940.
This will include leading the team that is responsible for:
What we value
- drafting and preparing U.S. registered fund disclosure documents
- negotiating and drafting mutual funds and ETF distribution agreements
- assisting the Chief Legal Officer of the SSGA Mutual Funds and SPDR ETFs in providing legal support to U.S. registered fund boards
- attending external meetings of the independent trustees of the US registered funds and leading all interactions with independent trustee counsels to the US registered funds
- analyzing proposed and new regulatory developments impacting U.S. registered funds
- providing advice and counsel to the SSGA business and compliance teams regarding Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Actregulatory requirements
- working with the SSGA and SPDR business teams on U.S. registered product development and fund management issues, and
- implementing controls and processes for reviewing marketing materials related to the offering and sale of US registered funds
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Prior experience leading a team of 40 Act legal professionals
- Extensive knowledge of the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940
- familiarity and comfort with the Commodities Exchange Act and CFTC rules, NFA rules and FINRA rules applicable to US registered funds
- A strong understanding of investment strategies and the U.S. registered funds business, particularly the ETF business in the US
- The ability to evaluate legal, financial, regulatory and reputational risk and escalate to executive management as needed
- Strong communication (written and verbal), client service and collaboration skills
- Strong research, time management, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently but also thrive in a global, dynamic and team-oriented environment
- Proven ability to interact with and advise multiple businesses and coordinate with legal colleagues in other jurisdictions and business areas on related areas of law or conflicts of law matters
- Prior experience interfacing with regulatory personnel
About State Street What we do.
- 10-14 years of experience in investment management legal practice at a law firm or the legal department of a financial services company, preferably both
- Strong academic credentials
- JD from an accredited law school
- License to practice in work location (this role is based in Boston, MA)
State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients. Work, Live and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential. Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers