Vice President, Investments
Maine Community Foundation, a statewide foundation with offices in Ellsworth and Portland, seeks a full-time vice president of investments to be the key individual to lead the organization’s $700 million portfolio operation. This is an office position that requires residency in Maine and office time in either of our offices in Ellsworth and Portland. Competitive benefit package, salary commensurate with experience, EOE. Maine Community Foundation is committed to equity.
The vice president of investments will serve as the senior-most member of the team responsible for the management of the $700 million Maine Community Foundation (MaineCF) investment portfolio. This position reports to the chief executive officer, while also supporting and having regular interaction with the MaineCF Board of Director's highly experienced nine-person investment committee.
The successful candidate will play a key role in monitoring and assessing existing portfolio investments through manager meetings, performance and risk analysis, and liquidity modeling. The VP of investments will also perform periodic manager due diligence to assist the team in developing a pipeline of potential investment managers and strategies (in conjunction with Monticello Associates, our outside advisor).
This position will work hand-in-hand with other members of the leadership team to promote the important work of MaineCF, its agency clients, and donors. The VP of investments will also perform rigorous cash flow modeling to support both grantmaking and investment decisions. With these skills, insights, and relationships, the VP of investments will also act as a representative of the community foundation across the state as a major contributor to business development.
This high-impact position will be based in MaineCF’s head office (Ellsworth) or in another agreed location in the state of Maine. The right candidate will be uniquely positioned to help people and organizations across the state as they adapt to changing political, climate, business, and social conditions.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Monitor and analyze the portfolio through performance analysis including return attribution, exposure analysis, value creation attribution, cash flow modeling, and risk measurement
- Actively participate in investment manager meetings with responsibility for notes, memos, and other follow-up analysis pertaining to existing and new potential investments
- Analyze new strategies and investment managers; benchmark performance and make recommendations as appropriate.
External & Business Development:
- Interact with existing and prospective donors and investees to deepen their understanding of the foundation and its investment process
- Represent MaineCF effectively while interacting with investment managers, other foundations, and investment consultants
- Participate in relevant industry conferences for skills development and MaineCF representation.
Management & Team Leadership:
- Manage team and supervise relations with third-party portfolio advisors
- Supervise the generation of various reports for distribution within leadership team as well as periodic investment committee and MaineCF board meetings
- Work closely with investment consultants on all key facets of portfolio management, including the preparation of materials for the investment committee and board of directors
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Educational Competencies & Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in education and experience; strong academic achievement in economics, finance, accounting, actuarial science, computer science, math, physics, or other analytical discipline preferred. MBA, MSc, or CFA/CAIA professional designations also preferred
- Highly competent with Excel and other technology applications relevant to financial analysis and reporting.
- Six or more years of strategic portfolio management in the foundation and endowment area (preferably tied to the selection and management of third-party managers)
- Demonstrate analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent judgment
- Proactive and intellectually curious; a proven self-starter.
- Ability to work well in a small team environment; share responsibility, manage multiple assignments simultaneously, and adjust priorities to meet challenges as they arise
- Exhibit a high degree of integrity, intellectual curiosity, analytical ability, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about the investment industry and grow as a professional, both through internal mentorship as well as proactively seeking external learning opportunities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – proven ability to communicate effectively across multiple constituencies
- Enthusiastic about being part of the community foundation and contributing to its mission
- Collaborative, constructive, and positive approach to work
- Strong critical and strategic thinking skills
- Professional, organized, and highly detail-oriented
- Excellent time/project management skills, applied in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, establish priorities, and work collaboratively as a member of a diverse community.
This position has significant interaction with the VP of finance/CFO, the vice presidents of advancement and donor services, members of the program office, external investment managers, donors, investment committee chair, members of peer institutions, and other outside constituencies.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
Position involves sitting, although frequent movement is necessary. Frequent statewide travel.
Forward resume and cover letter to Michele Camarco at email@example.com.
More searches like this
- ESG/Socially Responsible Research Private Wealth Management Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Investment Advisor/Consultant Private Wealth Management Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset Private Wealth Management Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Relationship Management Private Wealth Management Firm Full Time jobs in Bachelors