ESG Investment Analyst or Senior Research Analyst - Energy & Utilities Sectors
By joining Calvert, you will become part of a company that is recognized leader in responsible investing with a proven track record in influencing positive change while delivering competitive investment results. We offer competitive salaries, generous benefits, and opportunities for growth and development. We invite you to explore our available job opportunities listed below and look forward to having you become part of our continued success!
Calvert Research and Management is a recognized leader in responsible investing. Our mission is to deliver superior long-term performance to our clients and to enable them to achieve positive impact. Calvert Research and Management is located in Washington DC and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Morgan Stanley. For more information, visit www.calvert.com.
Calvert Research and Management has approximately $34 billion of mutual fund and separate account assets under management as of March 31, 2021. The company traces its roots to Calvert Investments, which in 1982 launched the first mutual fund to avoid investment in companies doing business in apartheid-era South Africa. Today, the Calvert Funds are one of the largest and most diversified families of responsibly invested mutual funds, encompassing actively and passively managed U.S. and international equity, fixed and floating-rate income, and multi-asset strategies.
We are seeking ESG Investment Research Analysts who are passionate about the impact company behavior has on society, the environment and on corporate performance and have experience integrating ESG considerations in the investment process. An ideal ESG Investment Research Analyst will bring subject matter expertise on governance topics and environmental and social issues, along with an understanding of how these issues can impact an investment thesis. S/he will be able to communicate views clearly, will be credible with company management teams as well as clients, will enjoy acting as an individual contributor within a highly collaborative investment culture, and will thrive by building strong relationships with colleagues.
- Build and maintain models which reflect our materiality matrix for the purpose of differentiating companies and securities based on their ESG performance, identifying ESG key performance indicators that have proven to be most impactful on stock prices and integrate into research framework
- Use information from data vendors and our proprietary research to analyze, score, rate and rank companies on their ESG performance
- Seek and evaluate sources of information regarding the environmental, social and governance policies and performance of corporations and other issuers of securities
- Develop expertise within industry sectors and relevant peer groups of companies
- Contribute to our team’s proprietary knowledge of ESG factors and materiality
- Use the information that is an output of our models to identify opportunities to engage directly with issuers of securities in order to improve their ESG performance and enhance our returns on the security
- Effectively communicate Calvert’s ESG research framework within the organization, to clients, and broader investment community
- Assist in creating a productive, collaborative and innovative team culture, including facilitating the team’s professional development
- Contribute to and publish original research
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree would be a plus) in Accounting, Finance, Business or related fields
- 5-10+ years experience in capital markets and investment topics, either through work experience or educational background
- The ability to work effectively in a thoughtful, collaborative team environment
- Strong communication skills, being able to interface effectively with bright quantitative colleagues as well as non-technical audiences
- Passion for aligning financial returns with societal impact
- Excellent verbal and writing skills in English
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Advanced MS Office (Word/PowerPoint/Excel) skills
- Experience with financial tools and databases (e.g., Bloomberg, FactSet, MSCI)
The ideal candidate would additionally bring some of the following:
- A graduate degree in a quantitative discipline, either in economics or (quantitative) finance, or in the natural sciences or engineering
- A strong foundation in applied empirical analysis (experimental work in natural sciences, statistics, econometrics, data science) and facility with manipulating numbers, including programming skills
- CFA charterholder, or progress toward such certification
We have a range of analyst and senior analyst positions open. Title and salary are commensurate with experience.