Director of Global Stewardship
MFS is an investment management firm representing individual and institutional clients worldwide. Founded in 1924, we have a global footprint of investment professionals and manage more than $600 billion in equity and fixed income assets.
Our mission is to allocate capital responsibly on behalf of our clients. We engage in that mission by investing in equity and fixed income issuers that we believe can outperform throughout an economic cycle. As a result, we focus on understanding the factors that are critical to the long-term sustainability of the companies we own. As an active manager, MFS' ESG integration strategy is focused primarily on rigorous, bottom-up security-level analysis. The members of our investment team, which includes both "traditional" equity and fixed income analysts and portfolio managers and ESG-dedicated individuals, collaborate on engagement, research, and voting to drive the best possible outcomes for our clients. MFS' Stewardship group, which is part of our Investment team, plays an integral role in our voting and engagement process and collaborates on a daily basis with other investment team members to determine proper voting conclusions and develop a more nuanced understanding of ESG and sustainability topics.
Responsibilities: The Head of Stewardship will be responsible for:
- Determining the strategic direction of our voting and engagement related activities, in collaboration with our ESG research analysts, Chief Sustainability Officer, Proxy Voting Committee and other investment team members.
- Managing and developing the Stewardship Team.
- Leading and contributing to corporate engagements on a wide variety of financially material, proxy-related matters.
- Enhancing MFS' Proxy Voting Policies.
- Managing existing and prospective vendor relationships.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate voting of all proxy ballot items, including monitoring of our proxy administrator’s application of MFS' voting policies.
- Assisting MFS' counsel in monitoring and responding to industry and regulatory developments with respect to proxy voting, engagement, and ESG integration.
- Representing MFS in various organizations/initiatives that promote good corporate governance and/or the integration of ESG factors into investment decisions.
- Overseeing client and public communications regarding MFS' voting and engagement policies and activities.
- Bachelor’s or master's degree with a minimum of seven to ten years' experience in the asset management industry and a minimum of five to seven years in a stewardship role
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a diverse group of individuals
- Large and small group presentation skills in both internal and external settings
- Previous experience managing people and other important relationships
- Strong analytical, communication, and project management skills