Senior Managing Director: Asset Management
As a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, the SMD- Asset Management will play a key role in establishing Emergis as a reputable boutique merchant bank specializing in cross-border Alternative Investment merchant banking, becoming a significant presence, indeed a market leader, in European and transatlantic alternative financing relating to our targeted asset classes. The position will oversee the formation and constitution of the Investment Committee (IC), which shall include both internal and external members. The principal function of the IC will be to review and approve all deal pipeline prior to such deals being offered to Emergis’ clients.
The position will lead the product development effort and oversee, plan, build and manage a flexible and transparent asset management platform within Emergis’ broader merchant banking business. The asset management platform will consist of financial products within both sector and geographically defined alternative asset classes to be made available to a broad spectrum of global investor classes. These products will consist largely of alternative lending debt and equity products, principally in privately held Small & Medium Enterprises (“SMEs”) in the UK, Continental Europe and North America—the product mediums will be co-investments and fund structures designed based on sector, credit profile and/or geography, all being responsive to current investor appetites.
The position will also be responsible for building and managing a cross-border (US, UK, Europe) asset gathering team with broad sales and client management experience. Clients will include a broad range of medium to long term global investor classes including large institutional investors (e.g. insurance companies, pension plans, sovereign wealth funds (SWFs), endowments, private equity funds, single and multi- family offices) and ultra high net worth individuals (UHNWIs), seeking to establish and/ or enhance their exposure to these uncorrelated (alternative) asset classes.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated:
- A track record of cross-border asset management, with an emphasis in North American and pan European alternative asset classes. Such experience shall include management within an established multinational asset management or financial services company and a particular focus on the following medium to long-term perspective investor classes: high net worth individuals, single and multi- family offices, private equity firms, long-oriented hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, pension plans, endowments and insurance companies.
- Designing and executing a "rapid build out” AUM strategy including establishing, growing and managing both investment (PMs and analysts) and direct sales teams, pitching to the aforementioned investor classes, and identification, evaluation, implementation and management ofstrategic alliances and partnerships to accelerate AUM investment
- Executive leadership experience and philosophy as a coach and mentor that builds high performing teams and a culture of empowerment and servant leadership. Must be highly convicted in an approach that demands partnership, mutual respect, integrity above reproach and shared accountability. The ability to balance “smart” elements of leadership: accountability, alignment of goals, clarity of strategy, with the “healthy” elements of leadership: trust, motivation, engagement. Candidates must have the ability to function well within an accomplished Executive Committee and broader cadre of highly talented, motivated and culturally diverse professionals.
- Comfort with extensive US domestic and international travel
- CFA and/or CAIA strongly preferred
We are looking for a dynamic, high energy leader--highly motivated, goal-oriented and entrepreneurial minded individual with an excellent reputation and pedigree in the investment/ asset management field— an “out of the box” thinker, keenly attuned to the rapidly evolving trends in investor appetites. The successful candidate will have an understanding of the inherent investment opportunities in private uncorrelated Alternative Investments resulting from the ongoing disintermediation of banks and other traditional providers of capital to SMEs in both Europe and North America and to calibrate Emergis’ strategies accordingly.