Founded in 1838 Welch & Forbes LLC is a Boston-based registered investment advisor with $4.9 billion in assets under management. The firm’s clients include individuals, families, foundations and not-for-profit organizations with a heavy emphasis on trusts.
Welch & Forbes is seeking an experienced Portfolio Manager to manage and service client accounts, to contribute to the firm’s research efforts and to develop new business.
Uses discretion and judgment to perform portfolio management and fiduciary duties across a variety of functions, inclusive of wealth management strategies, investment research, trade initiation, and servicing of high net worth clients and financial intermediaries. A thorough knowledge of investments and systems coupled with an ability to adapt and improvise among a wide range of priorities to accomplish a variety of tasks.
Implements investment solutions to maintain high levels of client service and satisfaction. Facilitates communications between investment area and operations to meet client expectations. Provides professional level analytical research and support in the investment research process. Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Hands-on management, knowledge, and utilization of a variety of investment system applications including: AddVantage (trust accounting system), APCO (automated trade management system), Investment Scorecard (performance measurement system), FactSet and Bloomberg (investment analytics), and other related investment and operational applications pertinent to the investment process.
- Creates, monitors and maintains appropriate investment strategies to meet the investment objectives of clients. Participates in firm wide meetings for investments and operational responsibilities to support client services. Maintains suitable and accurate management reporting tools (quantitative and qualitative) to enhance standards with clients. Provides close client contact through quarterly letters, client visits, etc., to enhance client satisfaction.
- Evaluates and implements investment strategies suitable for the investment research process. Annually presents several research reports to the firm for review. Demonstrates an intellectual curiosity regarding new companies and investments. Attends investment meetings with various company managements and industry analysts as well as industry conferences.
- Manages and performs a variety of simple and complex investment and administrative functions to support and exceed the expectations of high net worth clients. Ensures that periodic investment and transactional changes are made accurately and promptly to client accounts. Interacts with appropriate parties to resolve complex items. Research, create, and maintain schedules suitable for appropriate investment and regulatory requirements.
- Oversees and manages all functions pertinent to client accounts: including: trading, investment strategy, fiduciary duties and any and all appropriate responsibilities, as required.
Marketing & New Business:
- Participates in the marketing program and development of new business and is able to generate new accounts.
Qualifications and Skills:
Knowledge & Skill Set Requirement:
Excellent organization skills and strong sense of client service. Excellent interpersonal skills with a positive attitude and approach. The individual must have a high level of professional and personal integrity.
An ability to understand and maintain a variety of automated investment system applications is essential. Experience with a wide breadth of system applications is preferred. Strong knowledge and understanding of a variety of complex investment strategies and security instruments is required. Experience in trust administration preferred.
Knowledgeable experience in Microsoft Office Products (“MS”) in Windows, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word. Ability to multi-task and perform a variety of tasks. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Superior analytic and problem solving skills.
Education & Experience Requirement:
Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) degree is required. A Master degree in Business and a CFA or CFP is preferred.
Minimum 15 years of professional experience as an investment analyst and portfolio manager in a variety of investment applications and projects of which at least 10 years with direct, relevant experience in the high net worth business to individuals.
Nothing in this Job Description restricts the Company’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time. This position is at will, which means that it can be terminated by the employee holding the position or by the Company at any time, with or without notice or cause.